Library and Information Science

Library and Information Science ISSN: 2435-8495
三田図書館・情報学会 Mita Society for Library and Information Science
〒108‒8345 東京都港区三田2‒15‒45 慶應義塾大学文学部図書館・情報学専攻内 c/o Keio University, 2-15-45 Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8345, Japan
Library and Information Science 22: 119-128 (1984)

原著論文Original Article

文学研究における引用行動シェークスピア研究を題材とした引用カテゴリー調査Citation behavior in literary research: Citation context analysis in Shakespeare studies

慶應義塾大学大学院文学研究科図書館・情報学専攻博士課程Graduate School of Library and Information Science, Keio University ◇ 〒108-8345 東京都港区三田二丁目15番45号 ◇ Mita 2-15-45, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8345, Japan

発行日:1985年3月25日Published: March 25, 1985

This article describes a study to investigate citation behavior in literary research and to clarify the characteristics of methodologies of the literary research by examining the citation behavior in detail.

1,946 references cited by 68 papers of Shakespeare study were randomly sampled, and examined in terms of following three items. These are, (1) indication of bibliographic description of cited works and papers, (2) proportion of citations to “works of Shakespeare” for all citations, (3) citation functions which are examined by classifying them into 6 categories (basic, subsidiary, additional information, perfunctory, partial negation, and total negation).

Main results of three items above are; (1) Bibliographic descriptions of most citations are clearly indicated but as to citations to “works of Shakespeare”, their bibliographic descriptions are sometimes omitted. (2) Citations to “works of Shakespeare” account for about 30 per cent of all citations, and remaining 70 per cent are citations to “papers by Shakespearian scholars”. (3) Of all citations to “papers by Shakespearian scholars”, about 45 per cent are “subsidary citations which are used to support ideas of citing paper authors, and “basic citations” to previous papers which are essential for the study in the citing papers are about 6 per cent.

This page was created on 2021-01-27T15:47:55.908+09:00
This page was last modified on